Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Filling Up

It’s no secret that I’m a big guy.  One of my biggest obstacles is my diet.  I enjoy food.  Lots of food.  January of last year was disheartening when I finally got the fortitude to step on the scale.  257lbs hurt my pride and my heart.  I lost 22 and was at 235 for Rocketman Florida.  I rebounded back to 248, and now I’m down to 241. 

My wife, Brooke, started Weight Watchers this year (and is doing GREAT) and I joined the party with her.  I downloaded WWDiary, a free Weight Watchers app that will calculate daily point allowances, food points, and a few other neat things.  If you’re looking for a convenient app to journal your food, this is it. 

Brooke is really good a finding WW friendly recipes on the internet.  This is one area where her Pinterest  addiction has proven helpful to me. 

Today for lunch I had two servings of Spaghetti Pie (9 points per serving) and an apple.  Right after I ate I thought, “I’m still hungry.  This sucks.”  Then I got called back to my office for a few minutes.  After I got done with what I was asked about I had a strange realization – I’m satisfied.  The hunger was gone, and the food had travelled to my stomach. 

I know I eat fast.  I also know that after I’ve had enough that I should wait for 20 minutes or so before helping myself to more.  But this is where my self-control suffers.  I used to eat until I was full, and then eat a little more to make sure I can hold over until the next meal.  I know it’s all about moderation, portion control, and slowing down the bites, but darn it, it is hard! 

But for lunch today, it was a win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment