Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Power of a High Five

     It’s no secret that running has been my weakest sport of the three.  Training has been good to me this year, and I’m up to running an hour at a time with a pace somewhere around 11:15/mile.  Monday was my first hour long run.  While challenging, I can truly say that I enjoyed it.  The weather was cool, I had a good night’s sleep, and I wanted to run.

     I started running at the P’ville YMCA around 4:50am, and soon after three ladies started doing a bootcamp type of exercise routine inside of the track.  I didn’t think much of it, zoned into my music, and kept with my steady pace.  About 30 or 40 minutes into my run I was starting to feel a little tired – nothing bad mind you, just feeling the challenge of the run.  It was also about that time that one of the ladies recognized me, said, “Hey Jerry,” and gave me a high-five.

     That quick exchange wasn’t Earth shattering, life changing, or religious.  However, it did give me a boost of energy.  My form improved, my breathing came easier, and I just felt good.

      It’s the small things.

      Don’t forget the power of a simple high-five.

No comments:

Post a Comment