Sunday, May 18, 2014

Run for a Mom Race Report

     One of my favorite 5k races each year is Agape’s Run for a Mom.  This was the 4th year for the race, and it gets better and better each year.  I've been both a runner and a volunteer, with each role being extremely fulfilling.

     My race goal this year was to PR by finishing under 31:30.

     Since Brooke was volunteering we needed to arrive at 6:00am which meant a 4:30 wake-up call.  For most people that is early – for me, it was sleeping in an extra half hour (gotta love Ironman training schedules).  I let the dogs out, walked around a bit, gathered my last few items for the race and began sipping on water.  Leaving at 5:30, I grabbed a couple of fiber bars and a banana and away we went.  Since we arrived an hour and a half before the start of the race I spent some time just hanging out on the bleachers and socializing.  I was able to spend a few minutes with one of the basketball players who was on my team this past season as well as catch up with some folks before the race start.  Since it had been raining most of the night with more in the forecast the vendors were set-up in the gym, so I browsed for a few minutes then it was time to head to the start corral.  We were offered a short warm-up by a boot camp instructor, then it was time to run.

     I started about two thirds of the way back in the crowd, and found myself passing quite a few people in the early miles (something that RARELY happens).  About a mile in the crowd started to thin and I had settled into my race pace.  I was ecstatic when I heard the volunteer shout 10:22 as I passed.  Knowing that I was close to a 10 minute mile gave me the resolve to push harder.  The second mile went quickly with more passing (my hill work is paying off), and I was into the last mile soon enough.  It was about now that a lady passed me and gave a quick hello.  I wasn't able to do any more than wave – by this point I was in a steady breathing pattern and didn't want to do anything to interrupt it.  I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little bummed that I got passed, but it probably helped as it gave me a target to keep close as I finished the last mile.  

     As I made the last turn I saw that I was just over 27 minutes and was going to be pretty close to the 30 minute mark.  Passing the 3 mile marker I saw 29:30 on my watch – I knew I wouldn't break 30 minutes, but I was going to be closer than I ever had been. With about 50 yards to go I passed my pacer for the last mile

     Crossing the finish line I saw 30:17 on my watch, and new that would be pretty close to my chip time.  After getting a bottle of water and ensuring I wasn't going to puke I made my way to the About Time Events tent to check the chip time.  Even better!  30:16!!  I smashed my goal and set a great PR!!

I don't think I'll ever be a
"good looking" runner!


     If you're looking for a 5k in the Montgomery area, Run For a Mom is great.  It is well organized, the volunteers are awesome, the course is pretty easy, and it benefits a wonderful organization.  I give it two thumbs up!

-----
You can find me on Facebook and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment