Thursday, December 13, 2012

Setting Goals and Realizing Challenges

     So begins a new training season for me.  My goal: Rocketman Florida Triathlon 70.3 on May 5, 2013. 

For those unfamiliar with me, let me recap the last two years. 

January 1, 2010: My New Year's Resolution is to run a 5K.  (previous running experience= nil)
March 1, 2010: I began the Couch to 5K running plan.  (A great plan if you're a non-runner, and want to become one!  Check out Robert Ullrey's free podcasts.)
May 15, 2010: I ran my first 5K, without stopping, and didn't die.  I wasn't the last finisher either.  40:45 was my official time.  Elated, I knew I could do anything life throws at me. 
May 15, 2010, about 20 minutes after I finished: Matt (a friend who agreed to run the race with me) asked me if I wanted to do the Montgomery Half-Marathon.  I responded, "absolutely!"  went home, paid the entry fee and signed up. 
May 16, 2010, 9:50ish a.m.: I asked Matt how long a half-marathon is. 
May 16, 2010, 9:51ish a.m.: Panic ensues as I realize how far 13.1 miles truly is. 
May 17, 2010: Half-marathon training begins. 
August 2010: While visiting my parents, I tell them that I might consider a full marathon in the future.  Dad responds, "I don't think you can do it."
October 2, 2010: I finished the half-marathon. 
May 2011: I signed up for the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis.  Come what may, I'm finishing this race for many reasons, but mainly because Dad said I can't.  I'll show you, old man. 
Dec 3, 2011: I finished the St. Jude Marathon.  Praise God that I finished.  It was only because of His grace that I did.  I didn't stick to my training schedule, and suffered during and after the race because of it.  Yes, I finished, and I still wear my medal with pride, but my race wasn't pretty.  My knees were severely swollen, my feet tender, and the chafing... oh goodness, the chafing... I'm blessed with a wife who cared for me for several days after the race.  It was the most I have ever hurt without being injured.  And I proved to my Dad that I can do it!

     As 2012 began, I knew that a few friends at church were doing triathlons and it sounded interesting to me.  I had a road bike in the garage, joined the YMCA, and knew that I could run, so I decided to start training.  In September I finished my first sprint tri, and set my sights higher.  A few friends did the Augusta 70.3 Ironman in October, and I considered if I could complete a tri of that distance.  I believe that I can. 

Here is where I stand:
Swimming:  This is currently my strongest sport.  I swam 1.2 miles in 40 minutes this past Tuesday. 
Biking:  This is the part I enjoy the most.  I'm not fast, but I am consistent.  I average around 15mph.  I think I can be around 17mph on race day.  My longest ride to date is 34 miles.  I'll need to build endurance. 
Running:  I'm not a runner, even though I have ran a couple of long distance races in the past.  Improvement is needed in all areas of my run.  The good news though, is that I can't drown on the run. 

My Strengths:
1.  I have the time available to train.  My job offers regular "business hours," and I don't have children yet, so time really shouldn't be an issue. 
2.  Brooke is very supportive of me when I train, and I also have the support of Team Montgomery Multisport. 
3.  I have the equipment that I need.  A Tri Kit, Road Bike, and swim goggles.  I own a bike trainer, and also have the option of cycling and running at the YMCA if the weather prevents outside training. 

My Challenges:
1.  I'm overweight.  Somewhere around 250 lbs. 
2.  In reference to #1, I don't have a good diet.  I like to eat.  I like to eat a lot.  I'm not sure I understand what full is in relation to eating.  I normally eat until I'm stuffed, and then eat some more.  The major food groups are McDonalds, Wendy's, Dr. Pepper and Cici's.  I've reduced the number of cokes that I drink, with the intention of no carbonation and mostly water by Monday.  I'm sure I'll have a horrible caffeine headache. 
3.  I've never trained for an event of this distance before.  Maybe that isn't a weakness, but it does lead me into the unknown.  I've found a 20 week training plan that begins on Sunday, December 16, and I'm looking forward to it. 

My Goals:
1.  Whenever I race a distance that I've never raced before, I have two main goals.  The first is to not die.  The second is to finish. 
2.  Be under 200lbs on race day.  This gives me just over 5 months to lose around 50 pounds.  If this happens, it will be the smallest I've been since college. 
3.  Time goals: Swim: 30 minutes; Bike: 198 minutes; Run: 131 minutes; T1 & T2: 20 minutes combined.  Total race, 6:20.  However, if I finish before the 8:30 cutoff, I'll be thrilled. 

     I'll go ahead and admit that I'm not a good blogger.  I'll try to update weekly.  Please harass me if I don't.  This blog is going to be a portion of my training accountability. 

     My training schedule will be posted soon.  If you're in the Millbrook/Prattville/Montgomery area and want to join me for part or all of my training, let me know - I'd love the company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment